What is Eczema?
Eczema is a chronic skin disease that affects over 31 million Americans. There are many types of eczema but the most common type is atopic dermatitis. All types of eczema cause the skin to become itchy, red and inflamed. It is thought that those with eczema have an overly sensitive immune system which causes these flare-ups. Eczema sufferers also have an impaired skin barrier which allows moisture to escape. Excessively dry skin can trigger eczema flare-ups. The impaired skin barrier also puts them more at risk for infection.
Eczema is frequently seen on the cheeks, around the eyes, hands, wrists, elbows, behind the knees and backs of legs. The skin gets itchy, red and inflamed and scratching makes the symptoms worse. There can be rough, dry, raised patches and also a discoloration of the skin. In severe cases, the skin will crack, ooze, bleed and even become infected.
- Environmental– pollen, pet dander, dust mites, cigarette smoke
- Weather– hot, cold or dry conditions
- Irritants– clothing, laundry detergent, hand sanitizers, antibacterial soaps, chlorine, household cleaners, bug sprays with deet, sunscreen with oxybenzone
- Chemicals– preservatives, alcohol, parabens, sulfates and synthetic fragrances added to skin care products
- Emotions– stress and anxiety
- Food Sensitivities
Many people are unsure of their triggers, so it can make managing eczema both frustrating and challenging. It is important to manage stress, get a proper amount of sleep, eat a healthy diet, and avoid known triggers. The Soothe-X™ 3-Step Daily Regimen is a safe, organic moisturizing system that can be used alone or along with other interventions for both relieving and preventing flare-ups. Some of the benefits are:
- Skin moisturizing
- Gentle and non-irritating
- No stinging or burning on application
- Skin barrier protection
- Naturally antimicrobial
- Plant-based anti-inflammatory ingredients